Reranking NBA.com's MVP rankings according to demonstrable value
NBA.com has come out with a very early ranking of MVP candidates. Its all messed up. Its based on guess work and probably conventional wisdom. Its not based at all on demonstrable value to the player's team.
Using the "Total Win Contribution" metric, I have reranked NBA.com's 10 candidates. Click here to see my Reranking of NBA.com's MVP Ranking. Please note that other players have made excellent contributions but are not included in my list because I limited myself to the haphazard selections made by NBA.com. Please also note the last three players on the list should be nowhere near an MVP list at this point. Their contributions have been either mediocre or downright harmful..
Comments about the list
1. Kobe isn''t even close to being number one. Chris Paul is doing things no person that small should be able to do. +8 Wins Produced over Average is considered outstanding... the little guy's' on pace to double that!! Lets face it... at the moment he is dominating the NBA at 6 foot nothing, a hundred nothing! Amazing stuff. I wish the Bucks had come in third.
2. Dwight Howard continues to be underrated by the so-called experts. What else is new? He just piles up wins and covers up Orlando's flaws, that's all. Oh, but he can't shoot from the outside (sarcasm).
3. What a comeback for Dwayne Wade. He had an awful season last year, but it seems he's all better now.
4. Not only is Chris Bosh NOT an MVP candidate this season, his defense has been so uncharacteristically horrifying, he is a prime candidate for my season ending "Bizarro" MVP, otherwise known as the "Most Harmful Player" award. Last season, you will recall, it went to Jeff Green of the then Seattle Supersonics. As you can see from the chart, Bosh's negative Win Contribution would rank him in the top 3 last season amongst the NBA's most harmful players.
5. Let me close by noting that it is solid analysis like this that has ROCKETED me to number 357 or something shitty like that on Ballhype.com's Blog Rankings. I think I'm right behind two French basketweaving blogs and I just snuck ahead of Grandma Betty's Competitive Tomato Growing blog. What a joke.