Bucks Diary

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ranking the Central Division Starting Fives: My project needs some tinkering


My attempt to flesh out and compare the Central Division's respective starting fives has gone a little pear shaped. My goal was to compare the Bucks starting five against the starting fives likely to be fielded by their closest rivals, in order to get a feel for what areas shaped up as glaring weaknesses for Milwaukee and what areas might be regarded as potential strengths. It sounded good, but the project has been undermined by a few miscalculations.

First, my reliance on hoopshype.com for the various starting fives is proving untenable. I used hoopshype.com because it was the only reputable site that had anything close to current depth charts. Unfortunately, those depth charts seem to be based on a little too much unfounded guesswork.

For instance, Matt from Blog-a-Bull has rightly pointed out that the more likely starting scenario for the Bulls would have Deng at the 3 spot, not Nocioni. I did my original analysis with Nocioni in the lineup. Unfortunatlely, if Deng were inserted, my entire projection chart would need revamping, as Deng brings certain strengths that Nocioni lacks and vice-versa. Oh well, the fact that the Bulls starting five came in dead last did not bolster my confidence in the original formula anyway.

Another problem is the rosters are so fluid at this point that what I write today may be obsolete tomorrow. (For instance, in my original calibrations Anthony Johnson was Indiana's starting point guard -- he is now a Maverick).

Nevertheless, I think the analysis I did and some of the comparisons between the various players I made would prove to be interesting and informative to fans of the Central Division teams. (Plus I put a lot of work into it, so I don't want to flush it all.) For that reason, I will rethink and retool my project and then give the cat one more kick.

Besides, hell its the off-season, what else do I have to do? Dream up some more bogus Magliore trade scenarios? I think we've all had enough of those. If not go immediately to realgm.com and click on the Milwaukee Bucks forum. I think they currently have Magliore being traded for Sweetriver Baines (Jordan's character from SNL skit "The First Black Harlem Globetrotter"), and two players who will never be named later. Hey, it works out under the salary cap, too!

6 Comments:

At July 25, 2006 at 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, I say it's a coin flip whether Deng or Nocioni starts at the 3 to begin the season. I'd have to think Deng would get the bulk of the minutes at the 3 though. Or maybe I'm just hoping, since if he isn't that means he isn't developing fast enough for my taste.

 
At August 12, 2006 at 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

 
At August 18, 2006 at 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

 
At January 21, 2007 at 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great resource. keep it up!!Thanks a lot for interesting discussion, I found a lot of useful information!With the best regards!
David

 
At January 23, 2007 at 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great resource. keep it up!!Thanks a lot for interesting discussion, I found a lot of useful information!With the best regards!
Jimmy

 
At January 27, 2007 at 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for this place, where people can leave their ideas and opinions, it's great!With the best regards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home