Bucks Diary

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Villanueva did not underproduce at UConn


I keep hearing that Bucks PF Charlie Villanueva "underproduced" in his final season at UConn. I don't follow weakass college basketball, so I initially accepted this conventional belief, but all I had to do was a simple computation of the statistics he produced in that final year to put the lie to the whole notion.

Fact is, Villanueva was actually quite productive. Surprisingly, he only played 25 minutes per game, but he made the most of those 25 minutes. His Eff48 score that season was highly respectable 32.18 (suggesting also a very high potential ceiling for CV's professional production).

Consider that the second pick in this year's draft, another power forward named Lamarcus Alridge, had an Eff48 in his final season of only 28.7. And I didn't hear anyone say he unproduced.

Someone explain to me how this myth came to pass. I hate college basketball so I am unfamiliar. From what I gather he was criticized for lacking a "killer instinct" but he ought to get credit for the numbers he put up no matter what his demeanor.

4 Comments:

At July 5, 2006 at 8:46 AM, Blogger Cheesehead Craig said...

I agree with you. How does a guy (in his first year mind you) who averaged 13.6 pts and 8.3 rebounds on a star-studded team "underproduce"? And what the hell does how he did as a 19 yr old in college 2 years ago have to do with what he's doing in the NBA now? Methinks the Toronto media just wants the fan base to think they got the better end of the deal. They have nothing to slam the guy on for his time in Toronto, so they have to go back to his college days.

 
At July 5, 2006 at 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

definetly i think that the media realized colangelo made one of the worst trades ever so they dug up as much dirt as they can, but the dirt wasnt even in the NBA. If you have to go all the way back to someones JUNIOR YEAR in college to see if someone "underproduced" (which CV didnt do) he is probably a very good player.

 
At July 5, 2006 at 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you ripped off that eff thing from nba.com and are just now admitting it?

 
At July 25, 2006 at 8:06 AM, Blogger Ty Will said...

Anonymous, I did not "rip it off". The first time I used it and called it CV I clearly said it was derivative and that it had to exist in some other form, and so I claimed no originality. Once I found out about nba.com's stat, I immediately identified it as such.

No rip off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home