Bucks Diary

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Julian Wright a high pick? Seriously?



I basically avoid college basketball (with the exception of the Badgers) until late March, and then my interest is usually small-time gambling related. I'm NBA all the way. So, I am no authority on college players.

However, when a player is mentioned as a possible future Milwaukee Buck, I get interested. And Chad Ford of Espn.com has the Bucks drafting Julian Wright from Kansas if they don't get their preferred shot at Oden or Durant. So, I've paid special attention to the Kansas games in the last two rounds. I have to say I was seriously underwhelmed by Mr. Wright.

That's a decidedly minority opinion, though. Ford, Nbadraft.net, and Scouts.com all rave about the guy. They describe him as an ultra-versatile poor man's Kevin Durant.

That's not what I saw at all. I saw an unproductive, somewhat unpolished player who at times looked clumsy. Both Southern Illinois and UCLA had no problem keeping him in check. It should also be noted that for an allegedly elite player, he made no attempt to take over either important game, and it didn't look like he was capable of doing it even if he wanted to.

Basically I saw a guy who could do a little of everything okay, and nothing particularly well. I saw Ice Reynolds Jr.

But I liked Tito's Boy


On the other hand, I liked what I saw of former Milwaukee Buck stiff Tito Horford's son, Al. Yeah, he's got no offensive game, but he seems to play hard and crashes the boards like a madman. And, he goes after opponent's shots. Isn't this exactly the kind of player who would perfectly compliment Andrew Bogut's game?

Photo Credits: Espn.com

1 Comments:

At March 25, 2007 at 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No question Julian Wright's stock dropped with his tournament play. I watched him in his conference tournament a couple weeks ago, and he looked outstanding.

Hard to tell, but the Florida boys are now ahead of him on my board. But we still might need to make a decision on J. Wright if we end up with pick #5-7.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home