Bucks Diary

Friday, April 06, 2007

Bucks Diary's 20 Spins: Lucky 13


The Bucks lost to the Hawks. (I'm merely going to acknowledge it, not glorify it -- see below for explanation why). As such, the team greatly improved its chances of maintaining the third worst record in the Association.

And, looky, looky... I had my best Spin game ever. In fact, I landed so many results in the 2nd spot, I thought the ESPN Generator was broke. As it turned out, I landed a total of 9 spins (45%) in the money picks (1st or 2nd picks), and landed only 8 (40%) below the Bucks rightful third spot, with none landing any lower than fifth place. And, for the first time ever, the 2nd pick was the most frequent result I obtained (35%).

Feelin like a lottery slut

I feel dirty. All this "cheering for losing"stuff is starting to warp my brain and skew my perspective. Its turning me into a lottery slut.

BucksNation was once a nation committed to -- in the words of Johnny Drama --"Victory!!"uber alles... and it will be again some day very soon. But all of my Oden/Durant lust made me lose sight of that. No more.

From here on out, I will no longer glorify losing. I will instead acknowledge Bucks losses and their impact on the race for third worst, but I will no longer write Bizzaro World posts like the one I wrote the other day ripping Pearl Boykins for playing well. Those have no place in Bucks Nation. In BucksNation losing can -- under narrow circumstances -- be tolerated, but it should never, ever be glorified, especially not for something as uncertain as the lottery. Then we become no better than the Hawks.

Besides, what is all the "cheering for losing" getting us anyway? Slightly better odds on what will still be a sucker's bet? No matter how many games we lose, the lottery will still more likely end in disappointment for Bucks fans. And then how will we feel about all our "losing is great!" attitudes, huh? Like lottery sluts, that's how.

When and why did I have this change of heart? It happened tonight when I saw the Bucks result and started whooping and hollering. "What happened," my girlfriend asked. "The Bucks lost!" I told her. "How is that good? I thought you were a Bucks fan." Her naivete' put everything back in order for me.

I am a Bucks fan. A Bucks fan who got temporarily sucked into the upside-down world of David Stern's lottery, partly because, at the moment, there is really nothing in BucksNation interesting to write about.

Because of that, I'm taking a couple of days off from blogging. We'll see you around the middle of next week. Happy Easter, Bucks Nation!

10 Comments:

At April 7, 2007 at 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to continue to celebrate these losses....

We'll have plenty of time after May 22nd to console ourselves and repent if we don't get picks one or two. And if somehow we got Durant or Oden, it will all be worth it.

This draft goes beyond just getting a great player. It's quite possible the future of the franchise in Milwaukee hangs in the balance with this lotto.....

There has never been a more critical event in this franchise's history other than the 1985 period where Kohl stepped forward to buy the team.

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

clap

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

clap

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

clap

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

clap

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

clap

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ty!

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ty!

 
At April 12, 2007 at 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ty! Ty! Ty! Ty!

How about a breakdown of the skills brought to the table by the current players on the roster (or the ones you think will stick around if you want to speculate), and how they all fit together? It could be a nice change of pace in the middle of this long speculation season til the lottery, draft and free agency.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home