Bucks Diary

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Atta boy, Larry!


Larry Harris, in my opinion, is taking the correct public position in response to the intransigent Yi camp's trade demands: Forget it! According to SI.com, Harris isn't budging one iota from his earlier stated stance that the Bucks have no intention of dealing Yi's rights away to anyone.

In the SI.com story by Marty Burns, Harris says: "We're not trading him. We like him and we think this is a great opportunity for him. He'll get a chance to play a lot of minutes right away for a good team. What more could he want?" Indeed.

Maybe I was wrong

No one has echoed my concern that other teams talking with Yi's representatives about a trade to acquire his exclusive rights from the Bucks without the Bucks approval would constitute tampering under NBA rules. Of course, it might simply be that Yi's camp hasn't actually talked to anyone. I wouldn't put it passed them to blow smoke in the air.

Also, SI.com refers to Yi's agent as "Dan" Fegan. I've been calling him "Don". I would effort a correction, but I don't have enough respect for the guy, so I don't really care.

Mo on the move?

Hoopshype.com reports that Bucks guard Mo Williams is in serious negotiations with the Miami Heat. This could be trouble. If the Bucks let him get away, they better jump into the Chauncey Billups sweepstakes with both feet while its still going on. Because if both of them come off the board, I'm not sure where the team turns for a starting point guard. They certainly don't have any adequate options on the current roster. And the dropoff in talent in the free agent point guard market after those two is pretty steep. Smush Parker, Jacque Vaughn, Steve Blake, Travis Diener... do any of those names get you excited? Not me. Harris may have to show a bit more urgency on this front.

Correction: I checked and Yi's agents name is DAN Fegan, not DON Fegan as I've been referring to him in every other post until now. Where the hell did I get Don from? And why didn't anyone correct me on it? Not that it bothers me that much. Botching names is sort of my niche in the blogosphere. Plus I don't like Fegan enough to care whether his name is Dan, Don, or Dumb.

3 Comments:

At July 5, 2007 at 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought of the tampering charge the other day....Even if it is not specifically in the collective bargaining agreement, you could argue that's what would go on here if other teams talked with Yi's agents.

I'd guess though that other teams are not fielding the Team Yi calls....most probably don't want to get into this hornets nest. And would be afraid of a charge being leveled against them if they actively helped Yi's agents try to create a trade.

It's Fegan. When you've sent money under the table in an envelope in the past, you've established your ethics.

 
At July 6, 2007 at 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don(ald) Fegan is a member of the band Steely Dan.

 
At July 6, 2007 at 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Great blog you have here. My name is Jon and I'm the basketball director for MVN (also the 76ers writer). The Yi situation is an interesting one in that my Sixers were/are very interested in him. Anyhow, we're looking to launch a Bucks site on MVN.com, so if you're interesting in joining our expanding sports network, send me an e-mail at jburkett at MVN dot com. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home