Bucks Diary

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bogut/Bell going one way, Redd the other


I had written a killer post (according to me) explaining how and why January has been the best of times for the once forlorn tandem of Andrew Bogut and Charlie Bell, and how it has been the worst of times for the suddenly sagging Michael Redd. However, I lost the post when blogger.com disconnected. Pissed me off.

I'm not going to rewrite it, but I'll give you the executive summary.

Redd's numbers have been trending downward since November. I said the cause was his reversion to "Redd the Jump Shooter" and then I listed his declining FTAs, Rebounds, and adjusted FG percentage as proof of his abandonment of the aggressive approach that brough him great early success. I said he needs to get back to that style by not settling for jumpers and instead attacking the basket and the boards once again.

As for Bogut, I wrote that he is trending way up because his adjusted FG is way up, his rebounds/min are up, and so is his FT%. I mentioned how awesome he's playing, but challenged him to do "awesomer" by continuing to improve his FT% (which he's proven he can), and rebounding in the .30/min range. If he can do that consistently, he will move into the elite.

Bell, on the other hand, has salvaged his season by suddenly shooting the lights out from everywhere at the moment, and because he's cut his turnovers in half this month.

Finally, I noted that when I compared the statistics in games the Bucks won and games the Bucks lost, the only glaring differences were the AFG%s of Bogut, Bell, and Redd. All three are below 50% in the losses, and all three are well above 50% in the wins. Apparently, when those three are hitting simultaneouly, the Bucks win. So if Redd could just get going...

4 Comments:

At January 17, 2008 at 3:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to the Bucks roster, are there any Bucks fans that can think of a trade they would want to potentially put together with the Los Angeles Lakers? I write at www.laballtalk.com and am looking for more info from around the league as to what trades the Lakers can explore. Post at www.laballtalk.com with any/all info!!!

 
At January 20, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well the Packers blew it. So I guess it's up to the Bucks to win the championship this year. And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

 
At January 21, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, Ty, you have fan expectations to meet! You on holidays or something? I'm expecting a solid expose on Bogut's recent improvement and Redd's decline.

 
At January 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally figured it out. Michael Redd is not a poor man's Michael Jordan. Jordan was a lock down defender, who step in front of freight train before he would let the other team get an easy score. And Jordan could be 0 for 20 and still make the clutch shot.

Redd is Adrian Dantley of his generation. High scoring, no-effort D, almost all-star, ball hog who chokes in the clutch 80 out of 82 games.

Rookie John Stockton's hustle on defense was making Dantley look bad so his veteran advise to Stockton was to save his energy on defense because it was a long season and would burn himself out. Stockton ignored him and still playing "dirty" on defense in his 40's. However, it seems like Redd took his advice to heart.

At New Orleans, you could just see the whole team adopt Redd deer-in-the-headlight panic attack in the third quarter. Game over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home