Bucks Diary

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Inconvenient Truth about the Bucks


The WoW Journal has posted its assessment of the 2007-08 Milwaukee Bucks. Its sobering to say the least. But it gets it right, and because of that, it reads like the epitaph to the Larry Harris regime in Milwaukee.

I think the crucial point the Professor makes in his post is one that I made (and was gently riduculed for... I like the linked-to blog by the way) on Opening Night. This is a lottery team we have in Milwaukee. It was never a playoff team. Thus the problem is not, as Harris recently asserted, that the team is underperforming. Its that this team, is, was, and ever shall be undertalented.

Even looking through my Green and Red preseason glasses, that's always seemed depressingly obvious. At the start of the season here's what we had: One potential All-Star (Redd); One solid starter (Williams); One unproven international mystery player (Yi); Two inconsistently productive lottery picks (Bogut, Villanueva); Two players with markedly declining productivity (Mason, Bell); One below average starter coming off a foot injury (Simmons); One well-paid shell shock victim (Gadzuric); and a bunch of never will bes (Voshkuhl, Ivey, Storey, Ruffin, Noel).

Believe me, as a Bucks fan I never wanted that to be the truth. But I think it always was.

2 Comments:

At February 6, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon Ty, my ironic introduction wasn't intended as even gentle ridicule :)

I was definitely more optimistic about the Bucks, but I could certainly see the criticisms even then. I wrote something a couple weeks into the preseason guessing they'd be about a 40-win team, and then by the end of the preseason I was already getting nervous. As you said, there was very little proven about the Bucks coming into the year. Bogut's been above average but on the whole I'm still a little disappointed it took him two months to get going a bit.

The scary part is that the Bucks still *are* in the playoff hunt. Gotta love the East.

 
At February 8, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Blogger Ty Will said...

I was KIDDING, Frank!

I need to update my links to get your blog on there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home