Bucks Diary

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tosh Howard's cabbage burning... will the NBA crit-eee-cize it?


What is with basketball players and their proven love for the dirty cabbage? As you probably heard already, Josh Howard is a proud and admitted smoker of the jazzman's friend... going so far as to brag about it on ESPN Radio. And he's only the latest in a long list of NBAers who have been somehow confirmed to be amongst the "cool".

The thing I don't get -- besides the legal and decisional aspects of the practice -- is why marijuana? I can see the lure of it for Deadheads and fans of all forms of Acid Rock and grilled cheese, but what exactly is the lure for basketball players?

Is the NBA life so stressful that guys need to kick back and blaze up? Or is there something else unique about weed that draws cagers to its burnt rope allure?

To me, if hoopsters are going to get hooked on a bad habit, one that requires the intake of toxic fumes into your body is not the one I would guess that a group of world class athletes would choose.

But I'm not one to judge.

Footnote: Although, my statement that the Suns would "stomp on" the Spurs when the series moved to Phoenix had to have been influenced by some illegal substance.

3 Comments:

At April 27, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, I think they should consider 'magic brownies' as an alternative to smoking the weed.

 
At April 27, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. As a coach I would be pissed, for the same reasons I would be pissed if a player smoked cigarettes. But it is illegal and, like most employers, the NBA has a right to punish. Although I'd rather have athletes stoned on their couch watching Spongebob than shooting their guns outside of clubs.

 
At March 4, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Site. Was added to mybookmarks. Greetings From USA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home