Bucks Diary

Monday, November 10, 2008

So far, Bucks way better at defending the perimeter


One of the most frustrating things about the Milwaukee Bucks last year was their seeming inability to defense 3 point shots. After all, its not that tough to do. Just hustle out and challenge every shot.

That's why, to me at least, the Bucks high "Opponent 3PTFG %" was a symptom of an overall malaise and lack of desire that had taken hold of the team. They just didn't care enough to put forth the energy to challenge every jump shot.

Its different so far this year. You can see it when you watch the games. The Bucks are constantly hustling, indeed, every green player seems to be in perpetual motion, on offense and defense.

And it shows in 3PTFG% allowed. The Bucks have moved from 27th in the Association last season to 5th in the Association this season. From an unconscionable 38.4% allowed last season to a much better 30.4% this season. That is a dramatic improvement, and it is yet another example of what I call Coach Skiles "Fixing Broken Windows" coaching philosophy that I love.

I know we're not winning yet like everyone wants, but the improvement in the aforementioned area along with the other little improvements I've mentioned are, I believe, evidence of a new, winning kind of zeitgeist that has finally retaken the Milwaukee Bucks organization and that will eventually lead to a better tomorrow for BucksNation.

So I guess I'm saying to BucksNation: Keep the faith! I just believe things will get better, and I believe they will get better soon. My position on the Bucks is similar to Martin Luther King's famous response to those who asked him how long it would take to achieve civil rights: "How long? Not long!" So hang in there!

4 Comments:

At November 10, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how much is Skiles and how much is the departure of Matador Williams?

 
At November 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Blogger Ty Will said...

The same thought crossed my mind. But it is a fact that every practice Skiles has them working on "closeout" drills. So he has put an emphasis on it.

My question is, why in hell didnt the last two coaches?

 
At November 10, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skiles reminds me a lot of Jerry Sloan in his style.

 
At November 11, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true j rock, Skiles doesn't believe in help defense just like Sloan. Which I think is completely stupid for a team like the Bucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home